Visual Studio ASP.NET Active Directory Federation Services Authentication - sample project

• Thread starter Thread starter Shane_Walker
  • Start date Start date
S

Shane_Walker

Hello,

First of all, I'm not sure if this fits in here...

Some background information:

• I'm a newbie in web development, so please be gentle ;)
  • I want to create a ASP.NET application using Active Directory authentication
  • The webapp should be accessible internally and externally
  • The user should log in with his / her AD-User
  • I'm trying to get the VS-created sample webapp running
  • The webapp should not use Azure
  • I'm running VS2017 Community

As far as I understand the authentication methods, "Windows authentication" is not suitable for non-intranet applications...
"Individual User Accounts" are not authenticated by the AD...? Then theres's "Work and School Accounts" left...

Alright. To create a Project I need to type in the FederationMetadata.xml path.

(I wanted to add a picture here, but I'm not verifyed yet^^)

So I went and created a single VM running AD Services and AD FS Services... I've created a Self Signed Cert and added it during the configuration... I now can access the the FederationMetadata.xml from my machine running VS2017...

Ok, after that I successfully created the Project and tired to run it... (I did not change anything!)

I'm getting the following error:

(I wanted to add a picture here, but I'm not verifyed yet)

The following errors occurred while attempting to load the app.
- No assembly found containing an OwinStartupAttribute.
- No assembly found containing a Startup or [AssemblyName].Startup class.
To disable OWIN startup discovery, add the appSetting owin:AutomaticAppStartup with a value of "false" in your web.config.
To specify the OWIN startup Assembly, Class, or Method, add the appSetting owin:AppStartup with the fully qualified startup class or configuration method name in your web.config.

-----------------------------------------------------

[EntryPointNotFoundException: The following errors occurred while attempting to load the app.
To disable OWIN startup discovery, add the appSetting owin:AutomaticAppStartup with a value of "false" in your web.config.
To specify the OWIN startup Assembly, Class, or Method, add the appSetting owin:AppStartup with the fully qualified startup class or configuration method name in your web.config.]
Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinBuilder.GetAppStartup() +357
Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinHttpModule.InitializeBlueprint() +28
System.Threading.LazyInitializer.EnsureInitializedCore(T& target, Boolean& initialized, Object& syncLock, Func`1 valueFactory) +115
Microsoft.Owin.Host.SystemWeb.OwinHttpModule.Init(HttpApplication context) +106
System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +536
System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +173
System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +218
System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +296

[HttpException (0x80004005): The following errors occurred while attempting to load the app.
To specify the OWIN startup Assembly, Class, or Method, add the appSetting owin:AppStartup with the fully qualified startup class or configuration method name in your web.config.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +10075108
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +95
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254

And here I am now... I guess there's something wrong with my AD FS configuration...
Can someone push me in the right direction? I'm kinda stuck here...

Also, I know I could authenticate the users against the AD using the System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement or System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory namespace... What method (namespaces or AD FS) would you suggest me?

Thanks alot for your time & help!

Regards,
Shane

Continue reading...

Back