Accessing Azure DevOps Git Repositories not working properly with different account - E.G Work and Personal

• Thread starter Thread starter Daniel Harris
  • Start date Start date
D

Daniel Harris

I am working with repos on two different Azure Dev Ops / VSTS accounts. For the sake of the analogy lets call them a work Azure Dev Ops and Personal Azure Dev Ops account - Each use Git repos.

I sign into Visual Studio itself with my personal MS Account and can clone new repos just fine.

On the same machine, I go into Manage Connections and add my work account to the dropdown list of servers and I see my list of work Azure Dev Ops repos in the Team Explorer - I can connect fine.

The problem comes when I want to clone a repo from the work Azure Dev Ops tenant - I click on Clone and enter the local folder to store the repository - I then get an error saying

"The Git repository with name or identifier XXXX does not exist or you do not have permissions for the operation you are attempting.

Error encountered while cloning the remote repository: Git failed with a fatal error."

The repo definitely exists, and Team Explorer was able to connect to it just fine.

The issue seems to be that Visual Studio is trying to use my personal MS Account credentials when trying to clone the repo - This seems to be the cause of the error.

If I add my personal MS Account to the work project as a team member it suddenly works, I don't want to have to keep adding my personal account to the work Azure Dev Ops account - Anybody else able to reproduce this or know a way to fix it? I get the issue on multiple machines.

If I have answered your question, please mark it as the correct answer. If I have provided helpful information, please mark it as so.

Continue reading...

Back