Can't check for existence of Registry key. Help.

• Thread starter Thread starter Mugsy_in_Houston
  • Start date Start date
M

Mugsy_in_Houston

I'm trying to check for the existence of a Registry key, but every online example I've tried doesn't work.

My code:

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
' Is Skype installed?
If My.Computer.Registry.GetValue("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Skype", "Name", Nothing) Is Nothing Then
MsgBox("Skype not installed.", MsgBoxStyle.Information + MsgBoxStyle.OkOnly, "Skype not found")
End
End If
End Sub

The result is always "Nothing". I've verified the "Skype" Key exists at that location in my Registry, but still it returns whatever the third argument is set to. If I change "Nothing" to "Test", it returns "Test".

I've also tried searching for a fake key that does NOT exist (eg: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Junk") but it made no difference. I've tried changing "Name" to something else but that too had no effect. I've tried checking for Registry string values I know exist, but the result is always "Nothing" (or whatever the third switch is set to.)

I don't know if it matters, but I'm using Win7 and just upgraded VS from 2017 to 2019, and when I launch my test app, I first get 6 "scripting" errors that have nothing to do with my code (I close the dialogs and the program still runs.) I'll worry about annoying VS2019 errors later.

How do I simply verify if a Key exists from VB? TIA

Continue reading...

Back