Trying to log in to my website with a login and pw box - Error Code

• Thread starter Thread starter RaekC
  • Start date Start date
R

RaekC

My website is working online ok. But on my website in upper left corner, it has a little text box (login box) where someone can create a user name and pw. Or the admin (me) can log in. I need to be able to log in to make changes on certain pages, for example create threads, change prices displayed, etc. I wasn't too sure about my log in name & pw because my ability to change those things was ltd. I asked my web host to look into the database so see if they could find all my old emails and pws that I might have used. I probably used up my 5 attempts to retrieve my pw - not sure about that. But after the web tek looked into db and issue, now when I log in with the credentials it gives this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Invalid character in a Base-64 string.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.FormatException: Invalid character in a Base-64 string. Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Invalid character in a Base-64 string.]

System.Convert.FromBase64String(String s) +0

System.Web.Security.MembershipProvider.EncodePassword(String pass, Int32 passwordFormat, String salt) +54

System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +169

System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username, String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean failIfNotApproved) +42

System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username, String password) +78

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AuthenticateUsingMembershipProvider

(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +60

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e) +119

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +115

System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs

e) +101

System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)

+37

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e)

+111

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +176

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.

RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)

+36

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

+1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.8800; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.8762

My local copy of my project, when tested in my local server, does allow full admin use with the credentials I was trying to use online. Of course it is possible that the admin and pw used on the online website was different than my local copy but I can't find the other one if it exists.

Not knowing what else to do, I downloaded a copy of that db from my host server in a .bak file.

I'm not sure if that will allow me to see/recover my emails and pws. Or how to proceed to open the .bak file. Do I just try to attach it to my SQL Server Mgt. Studio?

If it helps at all, the method used to store my pws is symmetric encryption.

Thanks in advance

Rachel

Continue reading...

Back