Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.VerbatimMessageException was unhandled

• Thread starter Thread starter DarthTim
  • Start date Start date
D

DarthTim

I have code that updates the TFS Global List, so when a new customer is added to our customer tracking software, it updates the Client Name list.

The code is able to get the GlobalList and update the xml. However, when I call store.ImportGlobalLists(globalList.InnerXml) I get an exception. The store variable is a WorkItemStore The only relevant information I could find on this exception is here, which doesn't give much additional information. The exception gives additional information:

You cannot modify the definition of a work item tracking object with your version of command-line tools as they are not compatible with the Web services for Team Foundation Server. Contact your system administrator to determine how to upgrade your installation of Team Explorer to a version compatible with Team Foundation Server.

I am using:

• Visual Studio 2015 Version 14.0.25431.03 Update 3
  • .NET Version 4 (not using NuGets for TFS Communication)
  • TFS Version 2015

I get the same exception when I try to update from the command line with witadmin. I can export the global list, but cannot import it. I assume that I need to update something somewhere, but I'm not sure what needs to be updated, or what version I should update to.

The full exception is below:

Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.VerbatimMessageException was unhandled
ErrorId=0
HResult=-2146232832
IsRemoteException=True
LogException=False
Message=TF223006: You cannot modify the definition of a work item tracking object with your version of command-line tools as they are not compatible with the Web services for Team Foundation Server. Contact your system administrator to determine how to upgrade your installation of Team Explorer to a version compatible with Team Foundation Server.
Source=Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client
StackTrace:
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.Submit(ActionType action, MetadataProvider mdp, Int32 projectId, WITImporter importer)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportGlobalListsInternal(XmlElement listsElement)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.Provision.ProvisionClass.ImportGlobalLists(String lists)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Client.WorkItemStore.ImportGlobalLists(String lists)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
InnerException:
Actor=/tfs/DefaultCollection/WorkItemTracking/v4.0/ClientService.asmx
HResult=-2146233087
Lang=""
Message=TF223006: You cannot modify the definition of a work item tracking object with your version of command-line tools as they are not compatible with the Web services for Team Foundation Server. Contact your system administrator to determine how to upgrade your installation of Team Explorer to a version compatible with Team Foundation Server.
Node=/tfs/DefaultCollection/WorkItemTracking/v4.0/ClientService.asmx
Role=""
Source=Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy
StackTrace:
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.RetryHandler.HandleSoapException(SoapException se)
at Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Proxy.WorkItemServer.Update(String requestId, XmlElement package, XmlElement& result, MetadataTableHaveEntry[] metadataHave, String& dbStamp, IMetadataRowSets& metadata)
at CProdStudioBackendChannel.Update(CProdStudioBackendChannel* , Boolean fBatchSave, UInt16* bstrXMLUpdateData, UInt16** pbstrXMLUpdateData, WorkItemServer clientService)
InnerException:

Continue reading...

Back