C++/CX and C++/WinRT Which has the most stable future, expectation to be dominant?

• Thread starter Thread starter ThisDisplayName1
  • Start date Start date
T

ThisDisplayName1

Installed Visual Studios 2019 and looked for a project type C++/WinRT and found none. I researched and found the C++/WinRT page in the Visual Studios | Marketplace and the following information:

With Visual Studio 2019, MSBuild support is no longer built into the C++/WinRT VSIX, but is provided by the standalone Microsoft.Windows.CppWinRT NuGet package instead.

(I had no difficulties with installing theC++/WinRT Visual Studio extension supplement. )

I have read:

C++/WinRT is a standard, native C++17 language projection for the Windows Runtime using modern C++ guidelines. It is the preferred alternative to C++/CX and WRL.

and

This is Microsoft's recommended replacement for the C++/CX language projection, and the Windows Runtime C++ Template Library (WRL).

Previously in Visual Studios 2017 C++/WinRT was available in the Visual Studios installer.

Has C++/WinRT lost popularity or does not have enough popularity?

Is C++/WinRT expected to be sold as a separate Microsoft product, or become 3rd party proprietary product? (Good and Free doesn't last forever.)

I have a number game in the Microsoft Store as a Personal Computer game and an Xbox game. It was coded as a UWP C++/CX - Xaml project, and then was ported it into a UWP C++/WinRT - Xaml project. The game could go back to UWP C++/CX - Xaml. Should the game remain in C++/WinRT?

Visual Studios 2019 was installed on a secondary computer. When it is installed on a primary computer, are there options or individual packages that need to be included to obtain full functionality of the C++/WinRT language for a UWP C++ - Xaml Project if the game remains in WinRT - Xaml? Is it then necessary to select separately "Windows SDK" while making the Visual Studios 2019 installation?

I read:

"When updating the C++/WinRT VSIX, it's advisable to update Visual Studio and the Windows SDK as well."

… this leaves room for question as …

"With Visual Studio 2019, MSBuild support is no longer built into the C++/WinRT VSIX, … "

It seems ( "blindly") that the project types available in the Visual Studios installer are the better choices (the Microsoft choice). In the big picture, how does the C++/CX and C++/WinRT languages compare?

Are these questions better submitted as a questions or as a discussion?

Continue reading...

Back