Files Open in "Overtype" Mode

• Thread starter Thread starter WizOne
  • Start date Start date
W

WizOne

I have been using Visual Studio 2015 for quite some time. Today, an annoying behavior suddenly started: When I open an existing file (.cs, .xaml, etc.), the cursor is blinking indicating that I am in "overtype" mode. In fact, typing does cause the text to be overwritten. However, if I look at the icon in the lower right hand corner, it says that I am in insert (INS) mode even though the behavior is overtype mode. I can press the "Insert" key on my keyboard and the cursor changes to "insert" mode and I am able to insert text. However, if I close the file and reopen it, I am again in "overtype" mode. It's as if I am persistently in overtype mode and have to manually change to insert mode every time I open a file.

This is a new behavior that just began today. I have searched the tools-->options to see if a setting might be causing this but I can't see anything pertinent. Also, I reinstalled Visual Studio 2015 with no change in this behavior. Can you suggest how I can remedy this situation?

Kevin

Continue reading...

Back