Visual Studio 2013 Crashes After Opening XAML

• Thread starter Thread starter Garry Simmons
  • Start date Start date
G

Garry Simmons

I am running 2013 update 5 on Windows 10 Build 1709. I inherited a WIN81 Store App project that was fine until a month ago. Since then it crashes any time I open a XAML file, either just XAML or in the Designer. The XAML will display, but then VS crashes about 5-10 seconds later. The Designer never manages to load before crashing. And it doesn't matter which XAML file I pick in the project, they all do it. I have no idea what changed on my system a month ago. Corporate IT does forced/controlled updates, but I don't recall doing anything to it.

What is weird is that my other project (not a Store App) works just fine.

I can edit and build my C# files fine. I do get lots of crashes trying to Find All References for a property, but no issues with methods. I suspect that's because properties might be used XAML files.

I looked in the Windows Event Viewer and got the following stack trace. All the crashes are the same:

Application: devenv.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException

at Microsoft.Expression.Utility.OSHelper+NativeMethods.GetTokenInformation(IntPtr, TOKEN_INFORMATION_CLASS, IntPtr, UInt32, UInt32 ByRef)

at Microsoft.Expression.Utility.OSHelper.GetTokenInformation(TOKEN_INFORMATION_CLASS)

at Microsoft.Expression.Utility.OSHelper.CalculateIsRunningElevated()

at System.Lazy`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].CreateValue()

at System.Lazy`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].LazyInitValue()

at System.Lazy`1[[System.Boolean, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].get_Value()

at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.AppPackage.WrtUtility.ActivateApplication(System.String, System.String, System.Object)

at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.ActivateApplicationInternal(System.String, System.String, System.Object)

at Microsoft.Expression.HostUtility.Platform.AppContainerProcessDomainFactory.CreateDesignerProcess(System.String, System.String, System.Uri, System.Collections.IDictionary, Int32 ByRef, System.Object ByRef)

at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory+ProcessIsolationDomain..ctor(Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory, Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IIsolationBoundary, System.AppDomainSetup,

I'm at my wit's end trying to get this project back to normal. I've burned endless hours google'ing and trying stuff to no avail. Any/all help would be appreciated.

Garry

Continue reading...

Back