error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "" because it was not found. in VS 2019 with build Version 16.4.1

• Thread starter Thread starter syh
  • Start date Start date
S

syh

I get the error

error MSB3030: Could not copy the file "The full name of the resource" because it was not found.

When I try to compile a UWP dll that reference another UWP DLL that has a shared project reference that has a resource that is marked as “Content” in the build action

This did not happen in any prior versions prior to Version 16.4.1 of VS 2019

And the library does compile with no errors if I use MSBUILD from the command line.

So, the error only occurs in the IDE and only started with Version 16.4.1 of VS2019.

Any ideas or help or is this a bug? I am surly cannot be the only one seeing this.

I have removed and reinstalled the IDE a couple of times and tested in a VM and only see this error in the IDE. MSBUILD works from the command line.

Unfortunately, I cannot debug outside the IDE.

The scenario is as follows

1. Project A is a “Shared” project that has a folder called “Content” that is holding an Image. The Image has built action as “Content”
  2. A UWP DLL project (call it B) reference the shared project A
  3. Another UWP DLL (call it C) reference project B.
  4. When I compile C, I see the error.

Any other project in my solution that does not use a resource that has the build action as “Content” compiles fine. It is only when one DLL reference another that has “Content”

If I compile in the IDE, the folder “Content” get created but is empty.

If I compile using MSBUILD from the command line, the “Content” folder does have the Image.

I have killed 3 days on this and still cannot get it resolved. Is this a bug in build 16.4.1???

Help.

ansyh

Continue reading...

Back