Why did updating VS2019 changed partition status to "system", and is there a way to "untag" the partition as a system partition?

• Thread starter Thread starter rcgldr
  • Start date Start date
R

rcgldr

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on partition T: (long story, but it's working fine), and I have VS2019 installed on partition U:, trying to keep the OS and apps separate. When I first installed VS2019, when I did a system image backup, it only default / force selected C: (boot partition) and T: (Windows 10 partition). After an update to VS2019 a while back, the system image backup default / force select now includes the U: partition as well as C: and T:, treating U: also as a "system" partition. What did VS2019 install to cause it's partition to be included as a "system" partition? Note the only program I have installed on U: is VS2019. I'm running this on a multi-boot system (XP, XP X64, Win 7 Pro 64 bit, Win 10 Pro 64 bit).

Short of uninstalling VS2019 and trying again (which probably won't work), is there a way to "undo" whatever VS2019 did to make it a system partition? Is there some OS hook that VS2019 installed that I could turn off to fix this?

Continue reading...

Back