Best way/approach to quickly learning a new programming language

• Thread starter Thread starter Christine25
  • Start date Start date
C

Christine25

Hi I have been writing code for many years and I'm able to develop applications in more than 3 programming languages : C#, VB.Net and Javascript, QBasic (no longer using it), Javascript...

The approach I usually use is as follows :

- First of all, I pick up a small tuto of 30-40 pages to learn and practice the more basic.

- Second of all, I move on to a more middle tuto/ebook of no more than 300 pages, I mean a book of 100-200-300 pages and practice at the same time.

- Third of all, I start practicing, I mean I imagine an Application with CRUD operation having many features then I start writing it with skills I learnt from Book_1 and Book_2.

Now, I need to learn Android / Xamarin for upcoming projects and one of my colleague advised me to follow his approach as it works very very well.

He told me to download source code of any Android app in Github and start reading and analyzing it, instead of reading books.

So Now, I'm question is : Is it right to learn like that? Is anyone out there following this approach too to tell us more about it?

or do you have another quick approach to learn Android/Xamarin ?

PS : I know this is not Xamarin forum but it's a general question on how to learn a new programming language.

Christine

Continue reading...

Back