Visual Studio Fails to install after data coruption recovery

• Thread starter Thread starter Awesomecronk
  • Start date Start date
A

Awesomecronk

I only ask here because I cannot afford Microsoft Support, I talked with two agents for visual studio support, neither of whom could help, and I was told by the second agent that I needed high-end diagnostics

Last night, (3-5-20) I woke My PC from sleep mode. I received a BSOD with the stopcode "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION". I installed new graphics drivers, hoping to fix it, then updated Windows. The update failed, so I rebooted, Windows reversed the update, then I went to bed. This morning, I got up and updated Windows again.. This time, it worked. I then tried to launch Visual Studio 2019 Community. It gave me the splashscreen and crashed. I tried to launch the installer, but that, too, crashed immediately after launch. I ran the chkdsk utility and found that I had several corrupted sectors on my drive. I then created a Windows 10 installation media and repaired my PC. Still, Visual Studio failed to start.

I then connected with two VS support agents, who walked me through the process of removing any trace of Visual Studio from my PC. This involved running InstallCleanup, removing the VisualStudio folder from the registry, removing the VisualStudio folder from appdata and programdata, disabling Windows Defender, deleting the Microsoft Visual Studio folder from Program Files (x86), and then running the bootstrapper as admin.
This fails, with an error message: "Unable to acquire updated Visual Studio Installer." I click "continue" and get another error about a missing assembly manifest. A screenshot of this message should be attached.

Windows 10 home, build 1909
Visual Studio 2019 Community

1553038.png

AwesomeCronk

Continue reading...

Back