Override namespace in XML for deserialization with generated class

• Thread starter Thread starter ThaneHubbell
  • Start date Start date
T

ThaneHubbell

I'm parsing xml based on an xsd using the generated c# class. The provider of the XML updated the schema but some responses I am getting do not use the new schema - the main thing that changed was the namespace.

So the xmlns= tag at the root level of the XML is incorrect for the generated c# class to deserialize and I get an exception saying that the xmlns= is unexpected. If I manually change the namespace to match that of the schema the xml deserializes just fine as I would expect.

So I embarked on a journey to override the namespace. Here's my code attempt:
***** This compiles and runs but yields the standard error that the tag is unexpected and that there is an error in the XML

If I uncomment the attrs.Xmlns = true;

Then at the time of creation of the serializer (two lines down) I get an operation exception
that says:

System.InvalidOperationException was unhandled
Message="There was an error reflecting type 'MessageType'."
Source="System.Xml"
StackTrace:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportTypeMapping(TypeModel model, String ns, ImportContext context, String dataType, XmlAttributes a, Boolean repeats, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportTypeMapping(TypeModel model, String ns, ImportContext context, String dataType, XmlAttributes a, RecursionLimiter limiter)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportElement(TypeModel model, XmlRootAttribute root, String defaultNamespace, RecursionLimiter limiter)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportTypeMapping(Type type, XmlRootAttribute root, String defaultNamespace)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, XmlAttributeOverrides overrides, Type[] extraTypes, XmlRootAttribute root, String defaultNamespace, String location, Evidence evidence)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer..ctor(Type type, XmlAttributeOverrides overrides)
at ConsoleApplication2.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\10.6 tester\ConsoleApplication2\Program.cs:line 194
at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
InnerException: System.InvalidOperationException
Message="XmlRoot and XmlType attributes may not be specified for the type MessageType."
Source="System.Xml"
StackTrace:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.ImportTypeMapping(TypeModel model, String ns, ImportContext context, String dataType, XmlAttributes a, Boolean repeats, Boolean openModel, RecursionLimiter limiter)
InnerException:

SO - how do I make this work - without changing the generated class because eventually data will come in with the right namespace - and without changing the XML received? How can I make the override work?

*** code ***

var attrs = new XmlAttributes();

/* Create an XmlRootAttribute to override the XmlRoot in-line attr.
The override will use no namespace. */
var attr = new XmlRootAttribute("Message");
// attr.ElementName = "Message";
attr.Namespace = "http://www.ncpdp.org/schema/SCRIPT";
// set the XmlRoot on the XmlAttributes collection.
attrs.XmlRoot = attr;

// Create the XmlAttributeOverrides object.
var o = new XmlAttributeOverrides();

/* Map the attributes collection to the thing being
overriden (the class). */
// attrs.Xmlns = true;

o.Add(typeof(MessageType), attrs);
//

XmlSerializer serr = new XmlSerializer(typeof(MessageType),o);
// XmlSerializer sexx = new XmlSerializer(
// deserialize
try
{
rsp = (MessageType)serr.Deserialize(reader);
XmlSerializer serx = new XmlSerializer(typeof(MessageType));
TextWriter w1 = new StreamWriter(@"c:\ssresp.xml");
serx.Serialize(w1, rsp);
w1.Close();
string retFile;

// UpdatePharmacyItem(rsp, "PhoneNumbers", "Update", "9314421118", "PH");
// UpdatePharmacyItem(rsp, "PhoneNumbers", "Update", "9316256234", "HO");
// UpdatePharmacyItem(rsp, "PhoneNumbers", "Delete", "", "FX");
retFile = ParseResponse(rsp);
}
catch (Exception e)
{
reader.BaseStream.Position = 0;
string responseFromServer = reader.ReadToEnd();
StreamWriter SW;
SW = File.CreateText(@"C:\raw.txt");
SW.WriteLine(responseFromServer);
SW.Close();
reader.Close();
return;
}
}

The XML - (With the wrong namespace)

<Message version="010" release="006" xmlns="http://www.surescripts.com/messaging"><Header><To Qualifier='P'>1405275</To><From Qualifier='M'>surescripts</From><MessageID>b2134cc16b804bf9846c98ca19ea52c5</MessageID><RelatesToMessageID>2013-08-22-16.34.10.656250</RelatesToMessageID><SentTime>2013-08-22T16:33:59.4Z</SentTime><SenderSoftware><SenderSoftwareDeveloper>Surescripts</SenderSoftwareDeveloper><SenderSoftwareProduct>Message Processing</SenderSoftwareProduct><SenderSoftwareVersionRelease>2013.3</SenderSoftwareVersionRelease></SenderSoftware></Header><Body><Status><Code>002</Code></Status></Body></Message>

Continue reading...