How to correctly display Western fonts on Japanese versions of Windows

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulBrewer
  • Start date Start date
P

PaulBrewer

I have an MFC/C++ Windows Unicode application that does not perform well on a Japanese version of Windows 10 with respect to the fonts displayed in the application. It appears that there are two separate issues. The first issue with the fonts is that often, not always, they are displayed using some other western font. This could, of course, be a fallback font, but the fonts used are on the system. For example, writing (GDI+) to the screen in Times New Roman shows up as a funny-looking sans-serif font. Some of the dialogs look OK, but many display a non-standard font which messes up the layout. Even the standard print dialog displays a funny font. I have installed an en-US language pack onto the Japanese Windows computer (so that I can operate the system, since I don't speak Japanese) and that doesn't help either.

The app also uses a special font that has certain symbols required by the program. This font works just fine, properly displaying the special glyphs, both on-screen and when printed. But if a particular display element with the special glphys is copied to the clipboard and pasted into, for example, WordPad, some other font is displayed and thus the special glyphs appear as weird characters. (We've all seen that before.) The special font works everywhere except when using the clipboard to cut and paste!

I have tried specifying the locale as "en-US" using _wsetlocale(LC_ALL, L"en-US") at the beginning of the program, and I tried changing the code page using _setmbcp(1252), but both attempts were unsuccessful. What do I need to do to get the fonts to display correctly on-screen and when using the clipboard on a Japanese (or, no doubt) other East Asian version of Windows?

pmBrewer

Continue reading...

Back