How do I remove a customer project template?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rod at Work
  • Start date Start date
R

Rod at Work

I want to create some custom Visual Studio templates, for both VS 2017 and VS 2019. These are going to be project templates just for my coworkers and myself. They're not going into the Visual Studio Gallery. We've got a project that I want to make into a project template.

Our practice to date has been to take this project that we use for generating a lot of new projects, by branching it in TFS (TFVC), then never merging this new branch back in. These has lead to two approaches. One of my colleagues just branches in main project in TFS, then starts editing the files to change them as needed. His approach is the fastest, but it results in a slew of projects all named the same when opening up VS to select a project to work on. Very often it confuses myself and other colleagues. My approach is to branch the project, but rename it appropriately. However, it takes me hours to get everything right, but within VS and TFS. It's error prone and tedious, having to visit each file separately to rename the namespace.

That's when, last year I learned about creating VS project templates. Great idea, I thought. So a year ago I exported the base project, which copied it into my Documents\Visual Studio 2017\My Exported Templates folder. Then I had a lot of higher priority work thrown at me, so I lost momentum on this. Now that I'm working from home, and have a bit of a lull I thought I'd revisit this. Wouldn't you know if, but I re-exported the project using the same name as I did a year ago, because I had forgotten I'd started this a year ago. That resulted in 2 custom project templates in VS 2017, both named CoreFrameworkTemplate. I want to get rid of them both and start over again exporting the main project. I've deleting the CoreFrameworkTemplate.zip file from %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\12.0\ProjectTemplatesCache and %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<version_and_optional_ID>\ProjectTemplatesCache and C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_9daf0883\ProjectTemplatesCache as is recommended in this Stack Overflow post. But those folders don't always exist on my Windows 10 Enterprise machine and even when I did find them, then deleted the .zip file, it only got rid of one of the custom project templates.

So, how do I get rid of them all?

Rod

Continue reading...

Back