Visual Studio 2019 and 2017 installation unable to download channel manifest.

• Thread starter Thread starter andsprague1
  • Start date Start date
A

andsprague1

When I open the installer for Microsoft VS2019 I am getting a pop up before any other interaction on my machine that states :

"A product matching the following parameters cannot be found:

channelId: VisualStudio.16.Release

productId:Microsoft.VisualStudio.Product.Professional"

After clicking OK I get a screen that says: 'Unable to download the channel manifest from "https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/130498341_1685007711/channel".'

I am able to get to the URL in a web browser and I am able to ping 'aka.ms'.

I followed instructions to run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe -full". and when that didn't work I tried deleting the install file and trying again.

I have tried starting the windows installer (msiserver) service manually, and turning off the firewall. For some reason I am not able to change the settings of msiserver from manual to automatic even when running as admin. The error it's describing however seems to imply that the installer is not even able to access the url.

There is an option to view log. An error appears to repeat several time on one line, which says "2020-05-07T12:38:24 : Verbose : Resolved RemoteSettingsProviderService.GetActionsAsync(actionPath) actionPath: vs\installer\commonerroractions, result: [{"Action":{"Rules":[{"ErrorCode":"0x80072ee7","PackagesAppliesTo":[],"CommonErrorMessage":"**Error 0x80072ee7: No internet connection**\r\nThere is a problem connecting to our content delivery network servers. This might be a temporary server outage, or it could be an issue with your internet connection.\r\n\r\n**Fix**: First, select View Logs and try to go to the URL in the report. If you can, try installing Visual Studio again. If you can not access the URL in the View Logs report, or if you are on an unreliable network, please try our recommended steps to [install Visual Studio 2017 on low–bandwidth or unreliable network environments](Create an offline installation - Visual Studio)."," This is appears to be repeated several times in the log and potentially in several languages.

Right before the line is:'2020-05-07T12:38:24 : Verbose : Resolved RemoteSettingsProviderService.GetActionsAsync(actionPath) actionPath: vs\installer\helplink, result: [{"Action":{"Url":"Getting Started Tutorials & Documentation | Visual Studio - Visual Studio","HelpText":"Need help choosing what to install?","LinkText":"More info"},"Precedence":0,"RuleId":"E6A47E0F-5CDE-43DB-BCBE-1FC23327E708","FlightName":""}]
'. This url redirects to Getting Started Tutorials & Documentation | Visual Studio - Visual Studio in browser, but I don't seem to get an error

After this the line is'2020-05-07T12:38:25 : Error : Failed to start the products provider service. error: Unable to download the channel manifest from "https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/130498341_1685007711/channel". at ChannelManifestDownloadException: 'Unable to download the channel manifest from "https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/130498341_1685007711/channel"'. I am able to reach the URL in browser and it downloads a file called VisualStudio.16.Release.chman.

Continue reading...

Back