Databases & Projects

• Thread starter Thread starter NachoShaw
  • Start date Start date
N

NachoShaw

Hey

Can someone explain is simple terms, different methods of implementing databases in a project because it seems that the though process just doesnt match what is required...

in conjunction with a previous thread, i need to add a database solution to my project that doesnt require SQL server and an SQL server install. This limits me obviously but there must be a way.

1. LocalDB. i downloaded and installed this. It reads that a local db can be created and used however, it didnt work for me. There were 2 instances in my browser pane but they were not available when i tried to add a datasource.
  2. SQL Compact 4.0 Edition. This was looking promising. I was able to create the database .sdf file but couldnt find a way to add it or access it from my project.
  3. MS Access. I currently have my data in an Access Database as it was the easiest to set up but i believe using this with a vb.net project is a little dated now. However its the only method that is working....
  4. XML. This was suggested in my other thread but im not sure its the way i want to go. Seeing as i need to query the data, i feel that its datatables of datatables seeing as the ReadXML is a direct read stream into the datatable and a straight save back. Maybe im wrong, hopefully i am but i feel the documentation sends me round in circles.

I have been trying to find a way to extract the Access data tables from Access to either the sdf or mdf files but its not happening. Here are my questions:

When look at adding a new item / Data, there are a few options for me:

1. DataSet. this is what i used to connect the access database too which needed a download and install of an Access 2007 runtime file. This works good in the sense of the TableAdapter code that makes it simple to get / post data to / from the database, just dont want it to be an Access database. Can this be dome with other database types?
  2. Service-based Database. This appears to be created locally but its unclear whether i need to install SQL server during the install of the application once compiled. I am not permitted to install SQL server on any of the company machines as IT dont want it, they say its a risk.

Apart from XML, there arent any other container type objects for me to add.

What are my options and how are would they be implemented? I am ok with the use of databases, queries, stored procedures but trying to add something outside of SQL Server is somewhat difficult. My last project was SQL server based using BLL & DLL methods that worked great but im looking for a simplified way here, something that doesnt require external installations as they are not permitted.

Any help graciously received

Thanks

Im a self taught VB.Net guy who writes code for Autodesk Inventor. I may not know the terminology but i try so please be patient. Im not a kid so please dont treat me like one :)

Continue reading...

Back