Why only vs_enterprise.exe instead of vs_setup.exe for offline files installation?

• Thread starter Thread starter Nithin Bandaru
  • Start date Start date
N

Nithin Bandaru

Hi,

I have downloaded offline instillation cache which can be installed in other systems if needed.

Now after download I see that there are two files in layout folder.

1. vs_enterprise.exe

2. vs_setup.exe

In many forums I read that use vs_enterprise.exe instead of vs_setup.exe and says to do so because it will load MSI.

"Be sure to use the actual installer, for example, vs_enterprise.exe for the Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise edition, and not the bootstrapper file, which is named vs_setup.exe. The bootstrapper file loads the MSI for actual installation."

1. What does this actually mean?

2. What MSI file is it referring to?

3. Where is that MSI file?

4. Documents says vs_enterprise.exe in layout page will install packages from layout not online. Does this mean every time I need to run in from layout folder to install new visual studio packages or can I run the one got installed on system when I ran first time which is in start menu pointing to Program Files?

Sorry for too may questions. But I just wanted to know what I am doing instead of just following instructions.

It seems this is a work around process to create offline setup, instead of just using Download and Install option of installer to create layout. Which could have been very easier. SQL server have this kind of setup but not sure why visual studio is not able to do so.

5. Would appreciate any comment on above statements.

With regards,

Nithin B.

Continue reading...

Back