VS Scaling Changed

• Thread starter Thread starter Andrew416
  • Start date Start date
A

Andrew416

I've been developing a Windows project using Visual Studio Community 19 on a Windows 10 Pro laptop. (I'm a casual developer.)

I've been working on the project for a few months, but yesterday when I compiled it for the first time in a few days, the application was much larger than before, and no longer fit onto my laptop's screen. Text boxes could now hold more rows of text. The fonts seemed smaller compared to all the other parts of the program.

Afterwards, I noticed that Visual Studio itself seems different. For example, the dialog box that comes up upon launch (asking if I want to open an existing project) now takes up the whole screen rather than just partially filling it. And now the form designer where I've been designing my program is scaled differently, with the form filling the entire available space (whereas it was smaller before).

When VS starts and I open the form designer it has always given me a message saying that scaling is set to 150% and giving me the option to restart with 100%. I didn't change this recently. However, when I try it now, the 100% scaling makes things even worse.

My laptop is the primary monitor with 1920x1080 and 150% scaling. The secondary monitor is also 1920x1080 but with 100% scaling. Those are all the "recommended" settings. I tried switching to 200% scaling and my program is still bigger than it was before, although it at least fits on the screen.

I can't think of anything that has changed, except possible Windows updates happening in the background. I just upgraded VS to 16.6 after this happened, but that didn't help. The only other thing that I did that may have had an impact was disconnecting from the secondary monitor for a while. But that has happened before with no impact.

You may ask if other programs look different now, and unfortunately, I'm not sure. Maybe the ribbon in Microsoft Office looks bigger now, but I think it might just be my imagination.

It would be great to be able to get things back to how they were before.

Continue reading...

Back