GUI Development

• Thread starter Thread starter Chibi310
  • Start date Start date
C

Chibi310

I've officially hit a level of confusion that I cannot avoid.

Does anyone know of any upto date Win32 books or tutorials?

Primary Language: C/C++
Priority: Performance and Versatility over Ease of Use

I've been reading up on possible libraries, APIs, etc. For weeks now for developing Graphical User Interfaces, but I'm struggling to find any hint on what direction to go.

Can anyone point me to a decent resource (Or Resources) on "Modern" (As in written within the last 2 years at least) tutorial, book, article, site, something on a way to develop Windows GUI applications using C++17 (or C++20)? And not the MSDN site sources, they give you the C# information and pretend like C++ isn't a thing 90% of the time, making it hard to know what library works and doesn't work with C++ and what is and isn't upto date. I've run into articles in MSDN for C++ where the examples they give don't even work on VS2017 or VS2019 because they're design to run on something like VS2005 despite being dated for 2019/2018. MSDN also expects you to already know the entire API/SDK.

I do not know what library to go with because of the constant conflicting information that I'm being fed: Win32, WPF, WinForms, UWP, C++/CX, C++/WinRT, MFC, etc. I seriously do not know what is being supported by Microsoft and what isn't anymore. And now I found out about XAML Islands being a thing for Win32 to be able to use UWP elements.

I've tried learning Win32 but it's almost as if no one knows anything about it around the internet, or any Win32 resources is over a decade old. I know Win32 is C based, but I would expect it to be updated by now in some way with some deprecated things in it by now. Especially since I'm now reading that Win32 is getting UWP elements, which further adds to the confusion of what to use. I keep running into tutorials and articles on Win32 but 99% of the time, it's obsolete and just stops working by the later chapters because they require components no longer available in my version, even the screenshots that they use are almost always on Windows XP or Windows 2000.

No, I'm not interested in using C#, F#, VB, or any other language. I would like to stick with C++.

Yes, I know some C# but you can't use DirectX on it or Accelerators.

No, I don't care if I use the C++ .Net Framework, but I would like to be open to the ability to use High Performance Accelerator libraries like DirectX or OpenACC. So going Native is my preference but not a complete requirement.

No, you don't need to know what I'm trying to create because that's irrelevant to the question. I could be trying to make a web browser which requires a GUI to function best, I could be trying to make a CISCO IOS SSH GUI Interface management program, I could be trying to make a Drag and Drop style IDE, or I could be trying to make a Media Player with Advance Metadata edition features and bulk conversions capabilities. It's irrelevant, I would just like to be pointed in the right direction for where to go with my GUI studies in Windows 10 Development using up to date libraries and technology.

Yes, I am perfectly happy abandoning compatibility of older systems, I would like to future proof my software, I'm not interested in regressing for compatibility reasons (Only for performance reasons am I willing to go backwards).

Basically, I'm looking for an upto date and complete tutorial. But, there's too much conflicting information on what direction to go with this, and almost no useful resources available anywhere (With MSDN being the worst violation of this I have ever seen).

I'm interested in Win32, but it's neigh impossible to find anyway of effectively learning that in 2020!

TL;DR: What's the best most up to date tutorial or book on all things C++ Win32 that isn't MSDN?

Continue reading...

Back