VB Express Debug Execution does not work.

• Thread starter Thread starter Javin007
  • Start date Start date
J

Javin007

I've seen that others are experiencing this same problem, but have yet to find a solution.

I have an exceedingly simple application. It's simply a form with a DirectX render showing a single triangle and the FPS. I've written this same application a dozen times (sort of a "hello world" for DirectX) in other IDEs. But in Visual Studio Express 2012 for VB.NET applications, I've run into this odd bug:

USUALLY when I press the "Start" button, or press F5, it doesn't work. Sometimes the output window shows nothing at all, at other times the output window shows:

------ Build started: Project: GameTest, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
GameTest -> B:\VB\GameTest\GameTest\bin\Debug\GameTest.exe
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

But nothing further. The application doesn't run. But 1 out of maybe 20 times, the app will run just fine. If I change the dropdown from "Debug" to "Release" it'll fire right up every single time, but not when I use debug mode. Even putting a breakpoint on the very first line in the application shows that nothing gets executed at all. The application is building the .EXE, but simply not running it.

Finally, once in about every 100 executions, I get this error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Managed Debugging Assistant 'LoaderLock' has detected a problem in 'B:\VB\GameTest\GameTest\bin\Debug\GameTest.exe'.

Additional Information: DLL 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D\1.0.2902.0__31bf3856ad364e35\Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll' is attempting managed execution inside OS Loader lock. Do not attempt to run managed code inside a DllMain or image initialization function since doing so can cause the application to hang.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once this error pops up, it will pop up every single time I attempt to run the application until I shut down the IDE and reopen it, at which point it goes away, but the debug still won't run reliably, although after the error, the application will run the FIRST time I attempt it, but not afterwards.

I've attempted to "clean" the build, and even go into the tools menu and reset all settings in the IDE (though I've not changed anything). Even a full reinstallation of the IDE did nothing to fix it.

There's absolutely no consistency, rhyme, or reason to the errors and lack of execution.

-Javin

Continue reading...