Microsoft Smart Screen Issue with Windows Desktop Application

• Thread starter Thread starter KashGoyal
  • Start date Start date
K

KashGoyal

Hi All,

I am a Windows Desktop Application software Developer. Recently I build a Windows Desktop Application for my client in C# Language and provided the .exe file after publish to my client over the Internet. But when he downloaded it on his system he is getting Microsoft Defender Smart Screen popup which is problematic.

I researched on it and found 2-3 solutions -

a) First I can ask my client to disable Smart Screen for that App but that's not a good choice because this application needs to be distributed further to different people and asking everyone to disable Smart Screen is not an option.

b) Second I found that instead of Self Signed Certificate, I need to buy EV Code Signing Certificate that build immediate trust with Smart Screen. That can be an option but the per year cost is very high for the same.

c) I am just wondering if I publish my Application over Microsoft Store by paying one time fees will I still required any code signing or it will work fine regardless any user downloading it it any country. If no code signing is required after publishing on Microsoft store will this work on every window version including latest Windows 10 version and old versions viz. Windows 7 or older.

Can somebody provides me some other solution or clarify the queries in 3rd option as I think that publishing on Microsoft store is the best and cheapest solution if it works fine.

Thanks,

Kashish Goyal.

Continue reading...

Back