Why the heck am i not an admin

Marble eater is a forum leader, Joe Mamma was banned. BTW, thanks for the vote of confidence EFileTahi.

Yeah...Joe Mamma was certainly a pillar of forum society. :rolleyes:

And speaking of Joe Mama... Weve seen how past admins/moderators have handled unruly posters. Diesel, as a forum administrator, how might you handle a similar situation?

Once, Diesel has posted, forum leaders may respond. The peanut gallery (everyone else) may comment on this and the responses at will.

I think the admins already do a good job. They follow the rules and arent subjective.

Whatever the rules specify.

what we need is more admin

I voted for more cowbell in the last election so dont blame me.
Diesel does what Diesel does best - we dont want him wasting his time as an Admin as it would take away from his posts.

Thanks for trying to divert away from the Diesel-centric post, but the issue on Joe Mamma is over. He broke the rules, on purpose, way too many times and showed no signs of changing - very simple decision really.

More quotes from Diesel? I quite enjoyed the first batch... I didnt realize he was so helpful around here!

Arch4ngel said:
I like your way of saying "No... you wont be admin" in a way that makes him proud and aprove your decision!
Those are the wise words of experience.

Nerseus said:
He broke the rules, on purpose, way too many times and showed no signs of changing - very simple decision really.
While he was occasionally helpful, Joe Mamma was way out of control. It was outright offensive at times (and I am not easily offended -- I laughed at his inappropriate avatar choice...but this is not the forum for that sort of behavior) and I was glad to see him go along with all the negativity he brought with him. While he was knowledgeable and insightful at times, those times were few and far between with plenty of belligerent flaming to raise the post count.

So much for my attempts at an administrative democracy. *sigh* One day the people shall rule, but that day is not today. Seriously, though, I agree with Diesel. The leadership here does a great job of making sure everything runs smoothly and without a hitch. Without the extra 10 minutes of work you guys put in a week to move posts around and ban Joe Mamma, Im sure this forum would go right down the tubes. ;)

Not to get off the topic (me), but Joe Mamma was one of the best programmers ive talked to. Setting aside his personality (which I liked), he offered more pure programming expertise to this forum than anyone else.

Anyway, I just realized these forums are turning into a q&a center for newbies.
Most advanced users see the posts and never come back. Maybe the admins can do something about that.

I guess I just got sick of weeding through the constant VB/C# religious war that Joe Mamma was on. Overall, I would agree with you, Diesel. Joe offered some excellent insights (and always managed to help me out when I needed it Id like to add) but I thought his help was overshadowed by the way he handled other peoples ignorance.

Diesel said:
Anyway, I just realized these forums are turning into a q&a center for newbies....Maybe the admins can do something about that.
Maybe we could beef up the tutorials section to feed n00bs directly? What about a new programming philosophy forum? What sort of stuff did you have in mind? Id say theres around 10 regulars and not enough fresh blood on a daily basis to attract more "talent". I guess we could try to create a more active community between the regulars (as opposed to passively answering questions) -- if anyone else would be interested in that?

Im not sure what it was like in the beginning (or even if anyone is still around from then) but I do know that the popularity of the forum seemed to be at a high when I joined about 2.5 years ago and has declined since then. This forum was never as popular as the sister forum. I think their opening up of a .Net dedicated area has sucked us dry. Most of the old regulars from here have long since stopped posting and remained very active over there. The relationship between the two forums has always been confusing to me. Maybe its time to discuss a merger?

Maybe a section for those 100+ poster. You know... once you made your teeth a little bit and that you are "professional" enough well.... you can have access to a special forum for those 100+ poster. That would be nice. Yet... need to evaluate positive/negative.

My boss said:
I want this flowchart by tomorrow on my desk!!

Here is the big problem that I encounter, which is the reason that I dont post questions here.

When I run into a problem, first thing I do is run to the Object Browser. If that fails, I spend a couple of minutes in the MSDN docs. Next I go to google. Using this method, 99 percent of my questions are answered without wasting anyone elses time with something trivial.

With the remaining one percent of my questions, I used to make posts on this forum. They tend to be advanced questions, hence my difficulty finding an answer in the first place, and of the few questions Ive posted, few have been answered. Worst yet, Im usually the one to post the answer, after doing research over a period of a week or so.

As far as the "merger" idea, well... thats a bit iffy. I used to answer questions on both forums. The sister forum has its fair share of noobs too. What they dont have is a boatload of maturity. Too many people who dont know what they are talking about try to jump in and answer and the result is misinformation and unnecessary workarounds and hacks. And arguments over whose ideas or methods are better (here, more often people state their opinions and their reasons and agree to disagree, or open a new thread for a mature discussion of the topic [thats you mskeel]). Im sure that there are plenty of nice and intelligent people over there. Im just not sure that I want to deal with what seems to be the majority there, which is why I dont post there any more.

As far as the idea of making the forum more of an active thing, as opposed to something passive, Id be all for it. Some sort of intellectual discussion or collaboration would probably bring a little more traffic through.

Maybe a section for those 100+ poster.

100 posts does not an expert make.

But I would like to see a seperation of question difficulties. Security is optional, dont want to segregate more people.

As for a merger...I dont think the sister site would want to merge anyway. But also, it would create for a huge forum with 2 many different topics.

Also, I think we should have a section in which our female users post pictures of themselves (preferably in bikinis). mskeel, your welcome to start the posting in that section.

Id be glad to start. I guess Ill have to post it here since the new bikini forum isnt open yet.

This is one of me back in my younger days.

Woahhh... sexy...

I like your nose... wait... you dont have one.
I like your smile... wait... you dont have one.

In fact... its just the body that is sexy... for the rest... we have 2 choices.

Put a brown bag if you want to reuse the body or a plastic bag if you want to throw out the body.

Well need more sexy face than that I think :P

Hahahaha

So marble - are you saying you are a butterface?

ButterFace (definition) is: Everything looks great But Her Face?
Just kidding... :)

My hubby told me that one.. thought you might get a kick out of it.. hehhe

You guys are something else. There is more to a person than their looks. Its whats on the inside that counts. Marbles!

Back